• February 1Welcome to The Soaring Source--Lancaster High's first online news source

The official student news site for Lancaster High School, Lancaster, CA

The Soaring Source

Achieving acceptance throughout the nation

Photographer: Benson Kua

Photographer: Benson Kua

Bryawna Holmes-Ludwig, Staff Writer

The LGBT community has been continually getting publicity throughout the past decade. In 2015 same-sex marriage was legalized in every state in the United States. During this year, many public protests have been taking place in response to the Trump campaign and presidency based on the values that he has projected to the public. So how relevant is LGBT to the current times in the United States?

The United States has definitely become one of the more accepting countries when it comes to differences among people. Every year there are gay pride parades on both coasts of the country to celebrate differences rather than discriminating against them. In fact, the first pride parade took place in New York in 1970, when discrimination was more common.

The country has come very far from the parade in the 1970’s. People all across the country have been fighting for gay rights for years. Now it is legal to marry people of the same gender in every state in the United States, and some states even have protections in order to make sure that people aren’t being discriminated against in employment to make sure that everybody has equal opportunities. The LGBT community still continues to fight for equality everywhere.

“I could post positive social media information about LGBT and if there is a group of supporters I would join them and help people understand that they aren’t any different and they are necessary,” gay rights advocate Maria Vansickle said on the topic of how she can advocate for gay rights.

Everyone deserves equal opportunities and acceptance. No one should be scared to be who they believe they are just because it might make other people unhappy or because they don’t want things to change. Happiness is not a privilege, it is a right, and everyone has that right no matter if they are straight, gay, bisexual, or transgender. The fight for everyone’s happiness will continue until no one feels as though they should be afraid of who they are. Acceptance should not have to be fought for and neither should your happiness.

“LGBT rights to me mean you are free to be whoever you want, and love whoever you want without consequences or fear of rejection,” explains 11th grader Illiana Theriault. “Gay rights are just human rights, but somehow we got it mixed up along the way.”

• Achieving acceptance throughout the nation

Showcase

Top 5 moments in Eagles sports this year

Features

Why I chose Berkeley

Showcase

Why the Nashville Predators will win the Stanley Cup

Features

Why I chose William and Mary

News

AVID’s quick adventure to the beach

Features

Why I chose San Francisco State

Showcase

Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Virtual reality and you

Features

Lancaster’s Museum of Art and History

Features

Making important decisions