• February 1Welcome to The Soaring Source--Lancaster High's first online news source

The official student news site for Lancaster High School, Lancaster, CA

The Soaring Source

Making important decisions

Karina Sandoval, Staff Writer

Being a senior is a mix of emotions such as excitement and nervousness. Knowing you will be experiencing prom and grad night is definitely one of the things a senior is most anxious for; however, dealing with college applications and decisions can be quite nerve wrecking.

Having to choose what colleges to apply to and what to major in is definitely one of the most tough decisions students will have to make in their lives, at least for me it was. Knowing I would be focusing in one major for the next four upcoming years and working in the chosen field as my career, I decided that I would major in mechanical engineering. Through this major, I will be able to study my two favorite subjects, math and science, and focus primarily on biotechnology. Biotechnology consists of medical devices such as prosthetics, which is my primary focus because I will be able to follow my passion while continuing to help others as well.

Having been accepted into many universities such as UC San Diego, UC Irvine, and San Luis Obispo, my decision got even harder since all these schools offer amazing programs. However, there are many factors that pulled me into choosing to attend Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Being located up north and only 10 minutes away from the beach,  Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is a University that is highly recognized for having one of the greatest engineering fields. Also, 98% of the students have a job within the 9 months they graduate. Another main factor that helped me decide to attend Cal Poly SLO was the fact that the average time of graduation is 4 years and one quarter.

I won’t lie, taking this huge step into adulthood and a new environment is definitely scary; however, I am excited to make new adventures and become successful. For all you juniors and lower classmen reading this, I highly encourage you to enjoy high school and keep up your grades, because time will go by quick in a blink of an eye, and before you know it you will begin to apply for college and make the important decision of where to go.

• Making important decisions

Showcase

Top 5 moments in Eagles sports this year

• Making important decisions

Features

Why I chose Berkeley

• Making important decisions

Showcase

Why the Nashville Predators will win the Stanley Cup

• Making important decisions

Features

Why I chose William and Mary

• Making important decisions

News

AVID’s quick adventure to the beach

• Making important decisions

Features

Why I chose San Francisco State

• Making important decisions

Showcase

Creating bonds through swimming

• Making important decisions

Features

Virtual reality and you

• Making important decisions

Features

Lancaster’s Museum of Art and History

• Making important decisions

Showcase

A few last swings

Making important decisions