• February 1Welcome to The Soaring Source--Lancaster High's first online news source

The official student news site for Lancaster High School, Lancaster, CA

The Soaring Source

Creating bonds through swimming

Nagabi Guzman, Staff Writer

There’s nothing like the thrill of cheering for your favorite sport. The acceleration you get in a matter of seconds that runs through your whole body and makes you stand up to scream. It’s a love we all possess whether you’re an athlete or simply love the sport itself. Sports bring people together to root for the same team or just for a friendly bet.

In high school bonds are formed with many different people, but  an automatic bond that you have is with your teammates on a sport. The teammates you meet are there for the same reason you are. They’re playing for the love of the sport.

A sport that has stood out with amazing chemistry is the swim team. The swim meets are filled with positive energy and support from everyone on the team. When the swimmers reach the opposite end during swim meets, they’re greeted with cheers and screams to keep the swimmers going until they’re done doing their set. The teammates look after each other and nobody is ever left out. Even before the meets start, everyone is well prepared after stretching and warming up together. Most of the time the swimmers eat a banana to avoid cramping while swimming or they eat a small snack so they are not lacking energy. Sometimes the coaches bring the team snacks and if anyone ever forgets to bring food the team shares.

The team started with many members and by the end of the season a family bond was created among the swimmers. Not only was an automatic athletic bond established but a family was created, “I’ll remember my team very well because they became like family to me,” explained Laurel Renteria (12), “i’ll never forget them. They grew together not only as a team, but also as individuals.

“It helped be become a better person and prepared me for whatever is yet to come,” said Samantha Morera (12) enthusiastically, “I learned about commitment, and that the only person you should try to be better than is yourself. You’re your only competition.”

The team made it to Golden League and everyone improved on their swimming time recorded in the beginning of the season.

“I swam the 50 freestyle for golden league”,said Laurel Renteria (12) proudly, “and I dropped time so I think I did the best I could.”

The girls placed 4th and boys placed 2nd. Overall as a team, they placed an outstanding 2nd.

• Creating bonds through swimming

Showcase

Top 5 moments in Eagles sports this year

• Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Why I chose Berkeley

• Creating bonds through swimming

Showcase

Why the Nashville Predators will win the Stanley Cup

• Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Why I chose William and Mary

• Creating bonds through swimming

News

AVID’s quick adventure to the beach

• Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Why I chose San Francisco State

• Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Virtual reality and you

• Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Lancaster’s Museum of Art and History

• Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Making important decisions

• Creating bonds through swimming

Showcase

A few last swings

Creating bonds through swimming