• February 1Welcome to The Soaring Source--Lancaster High's first online news source

The official student news site for Lancaster High School, Lancaster, CA

The Soaring Source

Why I chose William and Mary

Tasjah Garrett, Staff Writer

Going to college after high school was always something  that I looked forward to. I mean it would be a whole new experience as well as a decision that I would be able to make on my own. Now I’m in high school and it’s something mandatory, something required so there’s this sense of no freedom. Yet college is a whole different ball game.

Growing up I wanted to be an astronaut. Like a legit “fly me to the moon” astronaut, I even had a favorite astronaut (Gus Grissom) and a spaceship made out of cardboard boxes. That personal goal took a shift quickly when I realized we weren’t going to the moon anymore. So I chose the next most logical thing to become, a doctor, more specifically a pediatrician.

Those were my official plans for my first two years of high school, while I often mentally switched that out with being a teacher. Then I came to a sensible realization that I don’t have the patience to deal with children and both of those careers are children based. So junior year during my psychology class, I decided that I would become a criminologist. Having a bit of encouragement from Criminal Minds.

While doing a “Goal Booklet” for that class in which my future plans were to be laid out I came up with my concrete life plans and it is also when I discovered William and Mary University. I plan to double major in Criminology (Sociology) and Law starting the fall of  2017. It took some time to realize that I like figuring people out. I like knowing why people do what they do, and discovering what events in their lives throws them off track, creating who they are today (criminals, sociopaths, upstanding citizens,etc.).

Both law and criminology studies will allow me to become a criminologist with a law degree in 5 to 6 years, while attending William and Mary, which has a J.D. program (juris doctor); the basic law degree. With those degrees I plan to apply to the FBI academy and become an agent.

As much history that William and Mary University has,(presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe both attended), the environment and people are what welcomed me. I visited the college 2 years back and it has made a lasting impression. I know that it’s far from California (it’s in Virginia) but with family in Maryland and my urgency to make my own decision about college instead of doing something mandatory like high school, I will persevere.

• Why I chose William and Mary

Showcase

Top 5 moments in Eagles sports this year

• Why I chose William and Mary

Features

Why I chose Berkeley

• Why I chose William and Mary

Showcase

Why the Nashville Predators will win the Stanley Cup

• Why I chose William and Mary

News

AVID’s quick adventure to the beach

• Why I chose William and Mary

Features

Why I chose San Francisco State

• Why I chose William and Mary

Showcase

Creating bonds through swimming

• Why I chose William and Mary

Features

Virtual reality and you

• Why I chose William and Mary

Features

Lancaster’s Museum of Art and History

• Why I chose William and Mary

Features

Making important decisions

• Why I chose William and Mary

Showcase

A few last swings

Why I chose William and Mary