• February 1Welcome to The Soaring Source--Lancaster High's first online news source

The official student news site for Lancaster High School, Lancaster, CA

The Soaring Source

Why I chose Berkeley

Dane Anderson, Editor-in-Chief

College was just an intangible prospect in the back of my mind through most of high school. A jumbled web of aspirations which consisted of Division 1 baseball during my first couple years and the Ivy League throughout the latter two. Though my athletic and intellectual ability failed to carry me to quite that level, the relief and pride felt upon learning of my acceptances has been the culmination of my arduous high school years. My college choice ultimately came down to UCLA and Berkeley, and my decision to attend UC Berkeley this fall was swift.

My choice was informed by several factors, school colors not being the least of which, but the prominence of Berkeley’s academic departments had the greatest effect on my decision making process. As someone aspiring  for a career in academia and public service I see my future home at Berkeley as a springboard for the future I have been working so hard for since I entered high school.

Additionally, the natural beauty surrounding Berkeley’s campus is in great contrast to the pavement covered dirt so prevalent here in the Antelope Valley. Hiking along the expanses of tall green trees as well as regularly visiting San Francisco and all of its urban attractions will introduce me to a lifestyle and range of experiences previously unavailable. The large library in the center of Berkeley’s campus is what I look forward to visiting most regularly with its bounty of nonfiction and reference books.

To immerse myself in all of my academic interests at an institution with such readily accessible resources will be the great privilege of my life up to this point (with the possible exception of being taught by Mrs. Howard), and the intellectual growth I assume will take place over the next four years excites me more than any other aspect of college life.

Though I am thrilled that I will be carrying on my education outside of Lancaster, I leave with the utmost appreciation for the incredible time I have had here. All of the experiences I have shared both inside and out of the classroom have transformed me from an ambitious freshman to an accomplished graduate. The incredible teaching I have received has proven the incredible impact teachers can have on students during their developmental years, and I move on forever enhanced by the attention given to me by this school’s faculty.

Furthermore, the relationships I have built with friends and all of the moments I have shared with them will transcend the distances which will separate us as we forge our own independent paths.

The last four years has offered me opportunities to capitalize on, relationships to cherish, and memories to carry with me to Berkeley and beyond. I feel closer to manhood now than at any previous time in my life, and I look forward to building on the progress I have already made with the help of those who have so graciously given their care to me. More importantly, I look forward to utilizing my education in pursuit the overarching goal of ensuring that history continues on its rising road towards a better future.  

• Why I chose Berkeley

Showcase

Top 5 moments in Eagles sports this year

• Why I chose Berkeley

Showcase

Why the Nashville Predators will win the Stanley Cup

• Why I chose Berkeley

Features

Why I chose William and Mary

• Why I chose Berkeley

News

AVID’s quick adventure to the beach

• Why I chose Berkeley

Features

Why I chose San Francisco State

• Why I chose Berkeley

Showcase

Creating bonds through swimming

• Why I chose Berkeley

Features

Virtual reality and you

• Why I chose Berkeley

Features

Lancaster’s Museum of Art and History

• Why I chose Berkeley

Features

Making important decisions

• Why I chose Berkeley

Showcase

A few last swings

Why I chose Berkeley