• February 1Welcome to The Soaring Source--Lancaster High's first online news source

The official student news site for Lancaster High School, Lancaster, CA

The Soaring Source

Top 5 moments in Eagles sports this year

Jordan Green, Sports Editor

As the year is coming to an abrupt end,  it seems only fitting to reflect on the greatest moments for Eagles sports this year. While many teams succeeded throughout this school year, some teams and individuals helped create history for their programs by either participating or bringing home a CIF championship. Here is a list of the top 5 moments in Eagles sports this 2016-17 school year.

5. Baseball and softball reach CIF playoffs once again

Both Lancaster’s baseball and softball programs are well known for finding success throughout the regular season, and creating their path into the CIF playoffs. However this year was different for both squads, especially for the baseball team. The Eagles began the year with a lackluster preseason that saw them finish 5-10, however that bad luck seemed to diminish in Golden League, as they accumulated a record of 10-4 and found success over some impressive teams such as Pete Knight and Palmdale.

Their level of success dramatically increased thanks to many individual performances, such as senior Dane Anderson, who up to this point had assembled a .368 batting average, and senior Jacob Shook, who leads the team with 23 hits this season. Not to mention the pitching for the Eagles, which saw junior Travis Lavendier throw a total of 40.2 innings and sustain an impressive 2.58 ERA.

Softball found not only success in the regular season, but in the postseason as well. After an amazing season that saw them finish third in Golden League, they traveled to El Monte high school to meet their first round opponent. There, the Eagles defeated the Lions 13-2, thanks to two massive home runs from junior Viviana Lopez and senior Aricka Price.

“After a win like that, there is no reason for this team not to be confident,” said Price. “We know what we are capable of, and we’re going to play our best softball and see how far we can go.”

Sadly, both teams playoff journeys have concluded due to a 10-5 loss against Burbank High School for baseball, and a 15-5 loss against Sierra Canyon for softball. Nevertheless, the determination from both programs lead to yet another successful season for both squads, and helped continue their dominant streak of reaching the CIF playoffs.

4. Girls golf wins Golden League title for second consecutive year

This years girls golf team brought yet another Golden League banner to hang up in our gym, as they finished with an almost perfect record in league matches. Despite a one point defeat to Palmdale, the Lady Eagles had an unbelievable season that saw them beat their rivals Quartz Hill and claim their second consecutive Golden League title.

With the loss of many accomplished players from last year, this year’s team was developed around many students who have never played golf before, such as seniors Lexi Melmoth and Cassie DeHaan. Even with this level of inexperience, this seven player squad found an unbelievable amount of success, lead by captain Melissa Thiele, who was a member of last seasons Golden League championship team.

“This is the best team I’ve ever been on. It’s like a family, most teams aren’t like this,” said Melmoth when asked to describe her experience.

As many members of the team are destined to leave once again, the story for this program next year is will coach Jones be able to develop another inexperienced team into champions? With this season’s success story, that question seems to highly favor the Lady Eagles chances.

3. Three Eagles sign athletic scholarships to play in college

Every year, Lancaster High School possesses certain individuals who hold an unbelievable amount of success within a sport. With that success comes reward, as a handful of these Eagle athletes receive athletic scholarships that begin to carve not only their athletic, but academic future as well. This year, three incredible seniors were awarded with this prestigious honor.

Alexis Robles, who has played varsity softball all four years here at Lancaster and was named the captain of this years squad, signed to play at Yavapai College, which is a community college located in Arizona.

Along with Robles, male swimmer Brandon Alvarez committed to a liberal arts college in Illinois known as Augustana College. He has participated in swimming events since he was six years old, and with this scholarship he has been given the opportunity to compete past high school and continuously grow into a more developed swimmer.

Lastly, soccer goalie Isabelle Decker was given the opportunity to play for Azusa Pacific University, a private Christian university held here in California. Decker, like these other two student athletes, was committed to her sport at an extremely young age, and has dreamt of playing at the college level for years.

“Azusa has been a university that I have been interested in since middle school,” said Decker when asked to express her excitement of playing for APU. “I can’t believe that dream has turned into a reality, I am beyond excited.”

Looking back at these seniors high school careers, it is clear that they all deserved the opportunity to play and pursue their passion in college, and it can be assumed with confidence that they will continue to shine in all of their future endeavors.

2. Brandon Alvarez wins CIF championship

What a year for Brandon Alvarez. As expressed previously in the article, Alvarez committed to Augustana to continue swimming, and he is going to begin his college career extremely confident after receiving his first CIF medal. Last year, Alvarez competed in the CIF Southern Section Championships where he placed 10th overall. This year, Alvarez looked to redeem himself, which he did, while also making history.

He finished with a 59.02 second time – his personal best – in the 100 yard breaststroke, which led him to win the CIF Section Division 4 championship, and bring home the first CIF swimming championship to Golden League since 2008.

“It means so much to me that I was able to do this for my team, my school, my family, that I get to wear this medal around my neck. Just self redemption, it feels great,” said Alvarez when asked about the importance of his championship.

1. Girls basketball makes CIF Final

It’s not to often you get to witness one of your school’s teams make it to a divisional championship. However, the girls basketball team helped turn that dream into reality. Last year, this team found limited success in the postseason due to a heartbreaking loss in the first round. This year, varsity coach D.J. Hein predicted a different result for his squad.

“I knew we had a good team. I told them all the time that they would make history, if they gave it all they got,” said Hein.

His prediction proved to be accurate, as the Lady Eagles found their way to their first ever CIF Final match-up. In the regular season they finished second in Golden League and held a record of 12-2, which solidified their place in the CIF playoffs. Two weeks after their final Golden League match against Littlerock, they found themselves fighting for a spot in the CIF Final against La Salle.

In that game, the Lady Eagles won by a score of 50-42, and booked their ticket to Azusa Pacific University, the school that would be hosting the championship game. Although Lancaster lost that game 55-33 against Los Osos, the run that these Lady Eagles had was historic.

“Even though we didn’t take home the big win at CIF, we still made history and broke some records. And I got to cross that goal off my bucket list. So yeah, it was pretty amazing,” said senior Brooke Noriega.

This level of success was accumulated by players such as junior forward Jadis Watson, senior forward Kaelee Kelly, and sophomore guard Sabrina Jeans, who all finished with 9.5 points or more per game on the season.

• Top 5 moments in Eagles sports this year

Features

Why I chose Berkeley

Showcase

Why the Nashville Predators will win the Stanley Cup

Features

Why I chose William and Mary

News

AVID’s quick adventure to the beach

Features

Why I chose San Francisco State

Showcase

Creating bonds through swimming

Features

Virtual reality and you

Features

Lancaster’s Museum of Art and History

Features

Making important decisions

Showcase

A few last swings